Modern Singapore was founded in 1819 by Sir Thomas Stamford Bingley Raffles. Several churches were established in Singapore shortly after his arrival (the earliest amongst which was the Roman Catholic Church), and with them, pipe organs.
Some of the earliest instruments noted include the ones at St. Andrew’s Church (now known as St. Andrew’s Cathedral) and the Scots Presbyterian Church (the present-day Orchard Road Presbyterian Church). There was even an orgue de choeur by the Paris-based firm of Cavaillé-Coll installed in the Church of Ss Peter and Paul.
We are left with a grand total of 10 working organs, 1 unplayable organ and a few small positive/portativ organs. If you have any further information on pipe organs in Singapore, please contact us at [email protected].
Victoria Concert Hall
Esplanade – Theatres on the Bay, Concert Hall
Cathedral of the Good Shepherd
Orchard Road Presbyterian Church
Orchard Road Presbyterian Church (Chapel)
Kampong Kapor Methodist Church
Singapore Bible College
Norwegian Seamen’s Mission
Organs no longer in existence
- Victoria Concert Hall (Hill, Norman & Beard, 1931)
- Church of Ss. Peter and Paul (Cavaillé-Coll, 1877)
- Church of St. Joseph, Victoria Street (Forster & Andrews, 1888)
- St. Andrew’s Church (Holdich, 1843/44; John Walker, 1862; Hill, Norman and Beard, 1929)