|Location||300 Pasir Panjang Road, Singapore 118640|
|Builder||Starup & Son (Denmark, 1858 – 1983)|
The organ at the Norwegian Seamen’s Mission (also the Swedish Church) was built in 1960 by the Danish builder, Starup & Sons. It stood in Hamlingby Church in Gävle, Sweden before it was brought to Singapore as a gift by Wilhelmsen Line as part of the 40th Jubilee of the Church of St. John (now known as the Norwegian Seamen’s Church).
Before it was inaugurated on 14 January 1996 (in a recital by the organist Kristine Hagen), it was refurbished by Walter Thür performed a thorough review of the instrument in his workshop, replacing the blower and parts in the process. The organ was later installed and voiced at its present location upon its arrival in Singapore.
Walter Thür was born and raised in Austria where he learnt the organ building trade. He later worked in Sweden as one before moving to Norway to set up his own organ shop.
The organ was not known to our Chapter its discovery in 2005. It has subsequently been restored by Robert Navaratnam, a Singaporean organ builder.
The Organ of the Norwegian Seamen’s Mission
Photos: Lin Yangchen
Article: Norwegian Seamen’s Church bulletin – Quarter 4 1995, Quarter 1 1996, 40th Anniversary document, Julian Tay
Used with permission